The HHH team has recently had a bunch of clients asking for their new home or renovations to be done in the “Hamptons” style. And given the timeless style and versatility of this design, we’re never really surprised when we get this request.
But why is this building style so popular? And why is this trend growing on the Gold Coast? Let’s discuss.
About the Hamptons Style
Mixing casual with classic, relaxing with sophisticated, this architectural style takes inspiration from the beachy suburb north of New York. With a traditional façade yet a contemporary interior, this design gives you the best of both worlds. The striking and practical exterior is topped by the trademark triangular roofs, while the interiors typically juxtapose light timbers with bold white furniture.
The inside of a Hamptons home is flexible to suit your personal preferences, but popular motifs for this style include:
- Room layouts that emphasise symmetry, yet an overall asymmetrical building design
- A distinct coastal colour scheme (a muted exterior and a pale interior with dashes of colour)
- Plenty of natural light
- Natural materials and layered textures (no ‘big impact’ colours)
- Weatherboard, stone/brick, or shingles externally
- Tall ceilings, steep roof pitches, and stand-out roof corners
- Chandeliers and complementing table lamps
- Verandas and porches with white timber balustrades
- Sash windows with mullions and transoms
- Homewares that create a nautical or coastal aesthetic
- Additional classical architectural elements such as columns, pediments and ox-eye windows.
This great all-rounder style is perfectly suited to both young couples building their first family home and more established households looking to create a fresh feel via renovation. Renovating goes particularly well with the Hamptons style because these homes tend to grow organically over time – each year and generation adds their own unique touches to create an eclectic look and feel.
Why the Gold Coast Loves the Hamptons
Most likely, it’s the coastal-influenced architectural style that draws in Gold Coast home buyers and renovators. You can see this in the simple white foundation with touches of vibrant colour (often blue and yellow, like the ocean and sand).
Then again, the Hamptons style was originally seen in the holiday homes of the rich and famous – so maybe people just like the idea of replicating that feeling!
Whatever the reason, the Hamptons style is in huge demand on the Gold Coast right now. And since we love it too, we’re definitely not complaining.
If you’d like to jump on board the Hamptons express, get in touch with our expert architects today. We can discuss whether this design scheme will suit your family’s needs, talk about all your options, and provide you with a quote for your home building or renovation project.